Tom Wolf, Governor Leslie S. Richards, Secretary, Department of Transportation

What Motor Vehicles Are Covered By the Law

All motor vehicles subject to registration such as cars, vans, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, trucks and buses must have liability insurance. You are in compliance with the law if you have liability insurance in the following amounts:

  • $15,000 for injury or death of one person in an accident
  • $30,000 for injury or death of more than one person in an accident
  • $5,000 for damage to property of another person

Your insurance company sends you an insurance identification (ID) card valid for only the period for which coverage has been paid. Always carry your insurance ID card in your vehicle.

Failure to maintain liability insurance on a registered vehicle may result in a three month suspension of your vehicle registration privilege. You can find out more information by downloading the Insurance Law Fact Sheet.

State of PA Website Home Forms and Publications Shopping Cart PA State Agencies Online Services Shopping Cart