Tom Wolf, Governor Leslie S. Richards, Secretary, Department of Transportation

New Residents Transferring Their Commercial Driverís License With a HAZMAT Endorsement


Step 1: Visit a Driver License Center with the following:

  • Your valid out-of-state CDL and one acceptable form of identification.
  • Your Social Security card,
  • A check or money order made payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee. No Cash Accepted,
  • Two proofs of residency
  • TSA approval

Step 2: You will be given a vision test.

Step 3: You will be required to successfully complete the HAZMAT Endorsement Knowledge Test (30 questions). Note: You do not have to pass the test the first time. You have 30 days to transfer your CDL to Pennsylvania after establishing residence.

Step 4: You will need to have federal approval to retain HAZMAT endorsement at time of transfer.

Step 5: If the Transportation Security Authority (TSA) approval was received in your former state, you will need a letter from your former state indicating TSA approval was received.

Step 6: If you do not have TSA approval but made application and submitted fingerprints in your former state, a letter from your former state indicating you made application, paid all fees and submitted fingerprints for Federal Security Threat assessment in your former state is needed.

Step 7: If you did not begin the Federal Security Threat Assessment process in your former state or are unable to provide documentation for the above, you can retain you H endorsement by submitting form DL-288 and fees at a PennDOT Driver License Center. You will be given a Fingerprint Authorization and will have to be fingerprinted as well.

Step 8: If all steps are successfully completed and the appropriate approvals obtained, you will be issued a camera card. Take the camera card to the nearest Photo License Center to have your photo taken and receive your CDL with HAZMAT endorsement.

State of PA Website Home Forms and Publications Shopping Cart PA State Agencies Online Services Shopping Cart